(Second Chances #2)
Abuse , Angst , BDSM , Bigotry , Depression , Dominance & Submission , Emotional Abuse , Hurt/Comfort , Lawyers , Neglect , Physical Abuse , Sadism & Masochism
June 23rd 2017
After the murder of his friend and a failed suicide attempt, Ben is left grief stricken and struggling to cope with his guilt. Living with someone he barely knows, he lashes out and eventually leaves unable to accept the positive changes in his life after spending time on the streets. When he realises that he can’t go back to his old life, Ben returns to the new home he’s been provided, hoping Geoff will let him return. Accepting help, Ben begins to process and come to turns with everything he’s been through and also his developing feelings for Geoff, the man he is now living with.
Having taken in a broken young man, Geoff struggles to help him and control his growing attraction. When his offers of help are thrown back in his face, Geoff is horrified when Ben walks away, leaving with no intent to return. Geoff, never expecting to see Ben again, is shocked when he discovers that Ben wants another chance and is willing to accept his help to move forward from his past. As their relationship develops and deepens, each discovers emotions they didn’t know they were capable of feeling. When Ben’s past comes back to haunt him and threaten what they are building together, will it break them or make them stronger?
- Overused stock photos^
- Memorable after I put it down for a few hours
- That Ben finally told Geoff what was going on
- That Ben is attending therapy and it seems to help as much as the journal-writing
- When they point out that funeral costs are damn near extortion
- When Ben had to go to the work function with Geoff and he actually fell asleep from boredom - that was super funny
- Temperature play; it's not often talked about in these books
- Chest deep
Mood Upon Completion
- Very few/no typos
- Decently hot
- Decently sweet
- It's sad that Ben had a really rough home life, and that explains why he's on the street*
- When Ben came back after he ran away, the changes seemed a bit too abrupt
- Geoff's sudden mention of his dominance, which I don't recall reading in most of the book before that passage
- Edward is an abusive sleazebag who gives sadists a bad name**
- Weakly emotional
- Character Death (supporting and minor, one, past)
- Abuse (physical and emotional - neglect, main, one, past)
- Non-con/Dub-con (attempted, main, one, past)
- BDSM (namely, D/s, S&M - main, two, present)
^The cover is in keeping with the rest in the series; same two dudes on every cover on earth
*I think people either don’t care or don’t realize how much constantly degrading someone chips away at them over time. Derek’s stepdad hits him and his mom practically cheers it on. Normally books about people who are depressed aren’t this depressing.
**Edward blackmailing Geoff made me suspect him of murdering Adam, too
I almost rated this 2.5 stars, but the abrupt introduction of BDSM saved it
Sorry, no post found.